BCIN Qualified Architectural Designer
Location: Greater Hamilton and Niagara Peninsula Area
Position: Salaried Full-time (competitive compensation & fringe benefits)
Start Date: Immediately
Reporting to: Branch Manager
Why Work for Origin and Cause?
Because you’ll be working with the best of the best. Our company’s size and solid reputation attracts industry leaders, creating a charged atmosphere where no matter how much you already know, you’ll learn something new every day. Ours is a problem-solving culture that encourages innovation. We pride ourselves on our friendly, people-first atmosphere, and encourage our employees to think independently, be hands-on, and do their work with skill, compassion and complete integrity.
Origin and Cause Inc. is seeking a BCIN Qualified Architectural Designer in houses or small buildings for the Greater Hamilton and Niagara Peninsula Area. We seek professionals who are experienced, self-motivated, resourceful, and efficient. Working independently or under limited supervision, you will assess and develop repair/rebuild plans for Ontario Building Code Part 9 wood-framed buildings (mainly houses) damaged by such causes as fire, vehicle impact, or snow overload.
- Assess the extent of damage and gather field measurements necessary to develop a scope of repair and a set of repair/rebuild drawings to restore damaged wood-framed buildings
- Develop plans in accordance with the requirements of Part 9 of the Ontario Building Code and be accountable for schedule and efficiency
- Prepare and submit building permit applications and other documentation as required by the building departments having jurisdictions to secure permits for the repair work
- Liaise with contractors, design professionals, and the staff of the authorities having jurisdiction for the purpose of coordinating the design, cost estimate, and permits
- Travel throughout Ontario to attend sites on a short notice as needed
- Perform additional duties as required
Experience and Qualifications:
- Registration as a BCIN Designer in “Building Structural” is a MUST
- A Civil Engineering Technology Degree from a Canadian college or equivalent
- Curriculum included courses in structural analysis/design and/or wood-framed construction
- At least two (2) years experience in the design and review of construction of houses
- Skilled in drafting using AutoCAD and REVIT (certification in structural detailing is an asset)
- Experience with other computer applications such as MS Office
- Ability to prioritize and work within deadlines while maintaining quality
- Must have a valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a vehicle
The ideal candidate will have a good overall understanding of wood framed construction, solid technical abilities, strong communication skills, and is a skilled problem solver.
- Ability to conceptualize architectural details in three dimensions
- Committed to the highest standard of client satisfaction
- Team player with the ability to work independently
- Fast learner with attention to detail and a desire to grow professionally
- Hard worker, inquisitive, and ready to assume responsibility quickly
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
If you believe this opportunity is the right one for you, email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “RE: Structural Designer for Hamilton and Niagara".
We appreciate your interest and efforts in submitting your application. We will be reviewing all submitted applications and contacting all qualified candidates to schedule an interview.
Thank you for your interest in joining the O&C team!