Forensic Structural Engineer (P.Eng.) – Winnipeg
Start Date: Immediately
Reporting to: Branch Manager
Our Structural Forensics Group provides a wide range of services, primarily to clients in the insurance industry and to construction litigation lawyers. We investigate the probable cause of structural and building envelope damage to existing buildings. When the cause is known, as in the case of a fire incident, we assess the extent of the structural damage and develop a scope and engineering drawings for the needed repairs. We also provide independent expert opinion for subrogation, arbitration, and litigation cases stemming from insurance losses or construction disputes. In all cases, we strive to discover the truth by determining and delivering the facts through concise and clear technical reports.
- Conduct structural assessments of damaged and collapsed buildings due to such causes as fire, tree and vehicle impacts, or snow overload
- Prepare well-written reports with a professional opinion on the probable cause of the damage
- Provide structural recommendations and designs to make the impacted buildings safe for entry and to restore them to their original condition
- Complete structural analysis and design using commercially available software such as SAP2000 and WoodWorks
- Develop repair drawings and details and obtain building permits as required
- Travel throughout Manitoba and possibly other locations on short notice when needed
- Perform additional duties as required
We are looking for ambitious and self-motivated professional structural engineers. You earned a university degree in Civil or Building Engineering from an accredited university in North America and are, or could soon become, a registered Professional Engineer in Manitoba. You are well versed in all facets of structural engineering analysis and design and gained at least three years of post-degree and relevant Canadian experience working in a recognized consulting engineering firm. Soft skills are as important to this role as technical skills. You interact with multiple clients with ease and effectively manage their expectations. You also handle the occasional hard-to-please client with tact and diplomacy.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Civil/Structural Engineering
- At least 3 years of Structural Engineering experience
- Previous design/forensic engineering firm employment is an asset
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) licensed to practice in Manitoba
- Familiar with the requirements of Part 9 of the Manitoba Building Code
- Valid Manitoba driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Passionate for engineering design and has an inquisitive mind with advanced problem-solving skills
- Hard-working and takes pride in technical excellence and integrity
- Motivated to develop professionally and to grow the structural forensics practice
- A people-person committed to the highest standard of client satisfaction
- Team player with the ability to work independently
Trust is at the heart of our corporate culture. We don’t believe in micromanagement. Rather, we fully trust our professionals with managing their time and work schedules. We implement a generous bonus program to reward hard work. A sizable car allowance and an employer-sponsored pension plan are only a few of the many fringe benefits we offer.
If you believe this opportunity is the right one for you, email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject title “RE: Forensic Structural Engineer Winnipeg”.
We appreciate your interest and efforts in submitting your application. We will be reviewing all submitted applications and contacting all qualified candidates to schedule an interview.
Thank you for your interest in joining the O&C team!