BCIN Structural Designer/ Investigator – Halifax/Atlantic Canada
Location: Halifax, NS/Atlantic Canada Position: Part-time/Contract Start Date: Immediately Reporting to: Structural Forensics Practice Lead
Why Work for Origin and Cause?
Because you’ll be working with the best of the best. Our company’s size and solid reputation attracts industry leaders, creating a charged atmosphere where no matter how much you already know, you’ll learn something new every day. Ours is a problem-solving culture that encourages innovation. We pride ourselves on our friendly, people-first atmosphere, and encourage our employees to think independently, be hands-on, and do their work with skill, compassion and complete integrity.
Origin and Cause Inc. is seeking a part-time registered BCIN Structural Designer for houses or small buildings in the Atlantic Canada market who is self-motivated, resourceful, and efficient. Working independently and collaboratively with our Eastern Canada Professional Engineer, you will assess and develop repair/rebuild plans for Part 9 wood-framed buildings (mainly houses) damaged by such causes as fire, vehicle/tree impact, or snow overload.
- Assess the extent of damage and gather field measurements necessary to develop a scope of repair and a set of repair/rebuild drawings to restore the damaged buildings
- Prepare draft reports identifying the probable cause of the damage and provide solutions to restore the damaged buildings to their original conditions
- Develop plans in accordance with the requirements of Part 9 of the Building Code and be accountable for schedule and efficiency
- Prepare and submit building permit applications and other documentation as required by the building departments having jurisdiction to secure permits for the repair work
- Liaise with contractors, other design professionals, and the building officials for the purpose of coordinating the designs and securing permits
- Travel throughout Atlantic Canada to attend loss locations as needed
- Perform additional duties as required
Experience and Qualifications
- Registered BCIN Designer in “Building Structural” and/or “Small Buildings”
- A relevant Civil Engineering Technology Degree from a Canadian college or equivalent
- Good understanding of structural systems and wood-framed construction
- At least two (2) years of experience as a BCIN Designer. Experience as a building examiner or familiarity with the building permit application process is an asset
- Working knowledge in drafting using AutoCAD and REVIT is an asset
- Ability to prioritize and work within deadlines while maintaining quality
- Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
The ideal candidate is a problem solver who has a good overall understanding of wood-framed construction and the requirements of Part 9 on the building code.
- Passionate for engineering design and has an inquisitive mind
- Hard working and takes pride in technical excellence and integrity
- A people person committed to the highest standard of client satisfaction
- Team player with the ability to work independently
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Motivated to develop professionally and help us grow our structural forensics practice in Atlantic Canada
Does this describe you and your attributes? If so, we’d love to hear from you! Please email your Cover Letter and Resume to email@example.com with the subject title “RE: Structural Designer_Atlantic Canada”. We appreciate your interest and efforts in submitting your application. We will be reviewing all submitted applications and contacting all qualified candidates to schedule an interview. Thank you for your interest in joining the Origin and Cause team!